In order for your website to be found you need to Optimize your website for Search Engines to find your business online. You need to make sure the search engines such as google can actually read and understand your website in order to put it in front of their customers (those that are searching the keywords). Search engines should be able to read your website to see what it is about and also they need to find out if it is attractive to the viewer. By attractive I mean if it is exactly what they are looking for, and your website would deliver what they need, or can answer their questions, the pages are not broken, and it is useful, and view able on their device.
You need to communicate with search engines first through your website so that they show your site to the viewer.
Search engines are getting smarter but that doesn’t mean they can read your mind and intentions. You have to make sure you can communicate to the search engines about who you are, what you do, how professional you are in your field and how you can help people that are looking for your products or services.
Here are 5 very important steps you can take today to make sure you are communicating with the search engines in a right way.
- Keywords: you need to make sure you know your keywords. Keywords are words that describe your business. And once you have your keywords you need to make sure to use the keywords in the urls and content of your site. Don’t over do it. Keep in mind that you don’t want to force anything. If you do it right search engines will find you. So use the keywords naturally in the content and the urls. For instance if you are a fitness coach in Toronto one of your keywords can be toronto fitness coach or fitness trainer in Toronto and other keywords related to losing weight and getting fit and healthy.
- Accessibility: Is your website visible on all devices? Is it user friendly and easy to navigate? Can users find what they are looking for easily on the site? Is it mobile responsive and mobile friendly? Is your site consistent using different browsers? What is the load time? You want a website that loads fast, people won’t wait for your site to load. Your site should be user and mobile friendly meaning that people can easily find what they are looking for and on mobile it is also easy to navigate. You need to have your site mobile responsive. Accessibility is all about user experience and how they see your site and browse through it to find what they are looking for.
- Setup your social media profiles, and put your location in the exact format you have on your contact page. This is very important for your local SEO. You need to have your location address in the same format everywhere on the internet.
- Get reviews, on google and other websites where customers can write about their experience. Ask your happy customers for reviews. And don’t worry about negative comments. The negative ones are actually an opportunity for you to answer them and show your care and customer service.
- Links are important for your website. Find authority websites in your field and contact them and see how you can have them post your link. Having links on other websites show search engines that you have something of interest to people. Make sure you don’t post your link on spam websites. This has negative effect on your seo.
Once you have these, you can use services such as google analytics to see the number of visits to your site, duration, and many more information that help you easily learn about your customers’ behavior and learn about the performance of your site. This is a very valuable information. You have to always set goal, monitor, measure, and make changes accordingly to your site to see improvement and results.